1 tbsp oil
1/2 to 1 lb lean hamburger
1 14fl oz can tomatoes (or 3 medium fresh)
3/4 lb fresh mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup corn or chopped carrots (or both!)
1-1/4 cup macaroni, dried
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I use the pre-grated stuff Ian uses to make tacos).
1 onion, chopped
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground coriander
Salt & Pepper
- Start the macaroni cooking. It usually takes about 10+ minutes. Follow package directions, and add a little oil to the macaroni after you drain it, if the hamburger is not ready.
- Chop the onions, mince the garlic, and chop the carrots (if you're using them).
- Warm the olive oil in a nonstick wide skillet (use more oil if you don't have nonstick) over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and carrots and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms have shrunk and the excess water has evaporated.
- Add the hamburger to the skillet and brown the hamburger, crumbling it up as it browns.
- Add the spices and stir for a minute or so. The spices will absorb the excess oil, and in doing so will make the flavor great.
- Add the canned tomatoes (or fresh).
- Reduce heat and cook until the macaroni is done, or for about 15 minutes.
- When the macaroni is done cooking, add it into the skillet and stir well. Continue to cook the 15 minutes.
- At the end of the 15 minutes, add the peas and stir well.
- Cook for another 5 or so minutes, until the peas are done
- While the stuff is cooking, grate the cheese if it's not already grated.
- Just before eating, mix the cheese in, stir until the cheese melts, then eat it.
Ian likes to add parmasean cheese to it too, but I'm fine without.